Designer - Color and Material - OluKai - Full Time
At OluKai, we build premium products for the ocean lifestyle. Our footwear is created using the highest quality materials and crafted into beautiful, functional and incredibly comfortable designs that reflect the spirit of the ocean lifestyle we all enjoy.
We are committed to creating quality products for our customers while leaving the smallest footprint possible on the planet. Our company philosophy is to be environmentally responsible as manufacturers and to pledge OluKai to actively support and work for a clean environment and a better quality of life.
Our customers and staff embody the connection that exists between people and the ocean, it is our Culture. We want to build a team of individuals who embrace this culture, and have a passion for providing premium products and service to our customers.
To create industry leading executions of OluKai footwear through the thoughtful use of color and material:
- Create seasonal color story, theory, content, and direction for men’s, women’s, and kids.
- Lead seasonal materials POV collaborating with design, development and PLM. Work closely with development in finding, critiquing and implementing new materials into our product range.
- Execute color and material applications through CAD and tech-pack work.
- Communicate color and materials through presentations to product, sales, and marketing.
- Supports design, development, and PLM on seasonal product presentation creation.
- Where needed, collaborate with outside designers on footwear design, prints, and footbed artwork.
- Maintain knowledge of the market, competitors, and consumer as well as relevant footwear market trends.
- Actively learn about the four main facets of the OluKai footwear market - Comfort, Outdoor, Boutique and Surf.
- Implement product design thinking/process with the goal of being the market leading lifestyle brand.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Good knowledge of color theory and how to apply it to footwear.
- Knowledge of leather and textile materials for footwear application.
- Outstanding communication skills (written, oral, presentation).
- Strong computer abilities (Adobe software family).
- Understanding of functional footwear requirements
- Understanding of footwear constructions and factory experience.
- Various seasonal travel needs to product meetings, trade show, material show, etc…
- Ability to work in fast paced, team environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 4 year college degree in industrial design.
- 1-2 years of footwear design and/or color and material experience