Footwear Product Developer II - OluKai - Full Time
- The Footwear Product Developer II will be responsible for the research and development of new and existing footwear from the approved design through confirmation stage with the specific focus on entire category management.
- Operate with a complete understanding of the development process.
- Manage and facilitate development of higher levels of technology for key footwear models.
- Consistently manages timelines, manufacturing and material supply chain, projects and resources in an organized, well prioritized manner.
- Ensure that all product is developed within established target FOB in order to achieve company margin goals.
- Work within a team oriented structure consisting of all disciplines necessary to develop a product line achieving product objectives within the established timelines.
- Coordinate all phases of development utilizing the available resources of Product Line Management, Design, Lasts, CAD, Costing, Duty, Compliance, Product Testing, and Fit and Wear Testing
- Ensure consistency in materials, construction and production techniques to provide superior product integrity across a manufacturing base.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Serve as the technical & manufacturing resource for product line management, design, development and other members of the product team.
- Contribute ideas for product design, construction, materials, and components to enhance functionality, aesthetics, duty, compliance, fit, and product margin.
- Generate technical development packages to communicate intended construction and aesthetic details for each project to overseas development partners and partnering factories.
- Pro-actively follow the execution of all product details
- Evaluate product team feedback and implement revisions as appropriate.
- Review and confirm all CAD and tooling process functions prior to opening sample molds.
- Examine all prototypes to assure all specifications are correct and within product compliance, duty and cost targets.
- Lead all fit and wear testing from early prototypes to final confirmed wear testing, implement product revisions as appropriate to meet fit goals.
- Achieve timeline milestones and on time delivery for sample deliverables at appropriate maturities.
- Confirm final development confirmation samples on time and ensure samples meet expected quality and accuracy standards.
- Conduct and lead weekly meetings with overseas development and partnering factories.
- Assist on production quality issues when necessary.
- Identify/alleviate potential manufacturing, efficiency and costing concerns during the product development cycle.
- Work with overseas and factory Costing, Development, Engineering and Manufacturing teams to identify and leverage potential manufacturing efficiencies to drive reduced product cost.
- International travel (China: 2-3 times per calendar year) and domestic travel (2-3 times per calendar year)as required to achieve a high level of product and component development, including visits to manufacturing countries / factories, the OluKai Headquarters office and off site material and trade shows.
- Development of new footwear materials
- Applicable technical degree preferred - manufacturing, mechanical, or chemical engineering, product design, biomechanics, etc.
- At least 5-8 years experience in footwear development, specific to footwear engineering and manufacturing.
- Knowledge in industry tooling process to include 2D and 3D CAD and CAM processes.
- Development of new footwear materials and innovative manufacturing techniques.
- Strong knowledge of pattern engineering, tooling processes and mold making.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, work ethic, and teamwork.
- Strong problem solving ability.
- Detail oriented, self motivated with strong decision making capabilities.
- Current industry standard technical knowledge of footwear development and manufacturing processes.
- Unique abilities required: Overseas and domestic travel will be required on a seasonal basis, irregular working hours should be expected during peak periods when deadlines are present.