Senior Women’s Footwear Designer - OluKai - Full Time
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Women’s Product Line Manager, Creative Director, and Men’s Footwear Designer to create innovative designs for OluKai's women’s footwear line from concept to reality.
- Collaborate with Women’s PLM to communicate creative strategies, product concepts and consumer insights to internal and external audiences as needed.
- Develop seasonal creative strategies and clearly position OluKai Women’s design, quality and performance leadership in order to ensure that creative strategies and products inspire key consumers and lead our business forward.
- Actively learn about the four main channels of the OluKai women’s footwear market - Comfort, Outdoor, Boutique and Surf.
- Provide footwear development with all necessary tech package information and proactively follow the execution of all product details, including construction, color, form, style, detail, fit, performance, and cost/value requirements; and review all samples and clearly communicate changes required.
- Learn about the Hawaiian and Polynesian culture in order to share the Aloha and island spirit through our product and brand direction.
- Partner with development to research, develop and/or implement new footwear materials and technologies to improve product aesthetics, performance and profitability
- Collaborate with the men’s team to create the right amount of product DNA relationship between the two genders.
- Present and communicate visual concepts and product direction. Create design boards and/or presentation materials as needed - i.e., sales meetings, pre-line
- meetings, internal review meetings, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of competitors’ products, consumers’ retail habits and relevant footwear market
- Attend key trade shows, account pre-line meetings, and consumer focus groups.
- Manage projects with freelance design resources as needed.
- Frequent travel to Asia and Mexico to work with our factory partners.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design.
- 5+ years of experience in footwear design and product development, preferably in women’s footwear.
- Expertise using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, including flat sketch design.
- Demonstrated high taste level and creative ability consistent with brand strategy.
- Knowledge of all aspects of footwear design and product development processes.
- Presentation and organization skills.
- Proven design expertise in given category.
- Commercial sense and market knowledge.
- Team player.
- Strong listening skills and experience assimilating product feedback.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated proactive thinking and problem solving ability.
- Ability to research and apply market/trend information.
- On-site experience with fabric/garment manufacturers a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Required travel: 30% of time
- Understanding of the Ocean Lifestyle a plus.